Hitting a plateau in your healthy living journey can be extremely frustrating, but the good news is that it's normal and there are many ways to break through it.
Your body adapts quickly to new behaviors and may shift in strength, weight loss or fitness abilities but then it becomes comfortable without new challenges.
If you find yourself feeling stuck in a plateau despite working hard, try one of these 3 strategies to break through to the next level:
1. Make a drastic change in your exercise
If you are repeating your workout routine week after week, chances are your body is fairly comfortable with it and mixing it up can create big changes. One of the best changes you can make is adding in the extremes. Research shows that fitness gains are made when there is a good mix of recovery (easy, fat burning days) and intensity (short, fast bursts that rev your metabolism and create an after burn affect).
Consider your current routine and ask yourself things questions:
- Am I repeating the same weekly workouts expecting different results?
- Do I alternate easy, low intensity days with a few days of high intensity?
- Do I spend any time doing short sprints or bursts of high intensity moves like burpees or mountain climbers? (Just 30 seconds for 8-10 rounds is enough!)
- Am I working really hard every day? (Chances are your body is stressed, cortisol levels are too high and your body is refusing to relax to burn fat).
2. Cut the inflammatory foods from your diet
Experiment with two weeks without wheat and dairy and document what you notice as you add them back in. These foods are often high in processed carbohydrates and sugars which deliver minimal nutrition but leave us with blood sugar swings and sugar/carb cravings.
In contrast, a diet high in vegetables, fruit, lean protein and healthy fats will balance your energy and improve your cravings, boost nutrient density and improve body composition.
3. Consider a real food cleanse
Get support! Each month, I co-host a 7 day refresh with whole foods to kick start good metabolism, healthy weight loss and reduce cravings. It is not about being hungry- in fact, most members surprise themselves with how satisfied they are! The group support and accountability can help you kick off new habits that are challenging on your own and the herbs will remove the toxins from your system and reduce bloating while increasing energy so you feel amazing. The next one starts in March and we'd love for you to join us!
Have you hit a plateau in weight loss or fitness? How did you break through?